Each year in the U.S., thousands of home fires are caused by heating units like space heaters. Sadly, many of those fires result in personal injuries and deaths. While portable space heaters can provide a cozy amount of heat in a small space, they also pose a large electrical risk and can cause terrible home damage.
Safety is a top priority when using portable space heaters so we’ve compiled a list of tips to consider when using one.
- Ensure your space heater is manufactured by a reputable company.
- Do not use power tools with an extension cord that exceeds 100 feet.
- Do not use a space heater with cracked parts, exposed or frayed wires, or broken plugs.
- Space heaters should never be used to warm or dry clothes or bedding and should be placed at least 3 feet away from anything that can burn.
- Avoid using power strips or extension cords with space heaters.
- Never leave a space heater running all night or unattended.
Are you needing additional outlets or other electrical work done in your home?